Welcome to our Resource Center, brimming with information and details about fences, decks, and awnings. We share planning and design tips, advice on working with your contractor and many other topics you may find helpful in your outdoor space design. Check out our original articles, blog posts, videos, and other offerings in our uniquely curated Resource Center.
- Choosing the Best Commercial Fencing for your Location in Fairfax, VA
- Figuring up What a Fence Cost Will Be for Your Home in Northern, VA
- When is Fence Repair in Reston, VA Necessary?
- Fence Post Repair in Falls Church, VA for Wobbly Fences
- Insurance on Commercial Fence Repair in McLean, VA
- Common Problems Requiring Wood Fence Repair in Great Falls, VA
- Protect Your Safety and Security with Metal Fence Repair in McLean, VA
- Signs you Need Wood Fence Repairs at Your Alexandria, VA Home
- Troubleshooting for Common Fence Repairs in Arlington, VA
- Wooden Fence Repair Due to Rot in Falls Church, VA
- Chain Link Fence Repair for Top and Bottom Rails in Tysons Corner, VA
- How to Escape Costly Fence Repairs in Vienna, VA
- How to Prevent Costly Wood Fence Repair in Reston, VA
- Standard Fence Repair for Fence Posts in Northern, VA
- Why Homeowners in Northern, VA Choose Winter to do Wood Fence Repair
- Designing Masterpiece Custom Decks in Great Falls, VA
- Wood Rot and Fence Repair in Great Falls, VA
- Insect Infestations That Call For Wood Fence Repair in Reston, VA
- Locating a Fence Contractor in Great Falls, VA
- How to Determine Your Fence Cost in Arlington, VA?
- Before Hiring a Fence Builder in Northern, VA
- The Incentives and Drawbacks of Wooden Fencing in Alexandria, VA
- The Cost of a Fence Installation in Great Falls, VA
- Costly Fence Repairs in Falls Church, VA
- Wooden Fencing is Still the Popular Choice in Vienna, VA
- How Homeowners Save in the Long Term with Vinyl Fences in Arlington, VA
- Things to Consider When Installing Security Commercial Fences in Tysons Corner, VA
- What to Look for in a Fence Builder for Falls Church, VA Businesses
- What Can a Little TLC Do For Wood Fences in Falls Church, VA?
- Why Vienna, VA Pool Owners Enjoy Their Vinyl Fences
- Why Homeowners in Falls Church, VA Appreciate Vinyl Fences
- How Wood Fences Compliment Homes in Vienna, VA
- Professional Fence Company in Ashburn VA Delivers More Than Just a Quality Fence
- How to Plan Your Alexandria Virginia Fence Installation
- Commonly Asked Questions About Vinyl Fences from Arlington VA Homeowners
- Wood vs Vinyl Fence
- Useful Information When Considering a Wrought Iron Fence in Great Falls VA
- Choosing the Right Wood for Your Fence in Falls Church, VA
- The Right Fence Design for Small Yards in Reston, Virginia
- Commonly Asked Questions About Vinyl Fences from Reston, VA Homeowners
- Top Reasons to Invest in a Quality Fence in Great Falls Virginia
- Why You Should Choose to Build a Custom Deck in Gainesville VA
- 5 Reasons to Get a Privacy Fence for your Northern Virginia Home
- Different Types of Dumfries VA Commercial Fencing and Their Purposes
- Choosing to Build a Floating Deck in Stafford County VA
- Privacy Fences in Loudoun County VA: Safer for Kids and Dogs
- Commercial Fencing Dumfries VA: Barbed Wire Fence or Razor Wire Fence?
- Options for Your Rustic Fence in Northern Virginia
- Redundant Fences – Northern Virginia Fences
- Fence Builder in Spotsylvania County VA: Selecting the Right Aluminum Fence for Your Dog
- Dogs and Wood Fencing in Stafford County VA
- Does Your Wood Fence in Loudoun County VA Need to Be Replaced?
- Decks in Falls Church VA: A Good Investment
- Awnings: Add Beauty Value to Homes in Falls Church VA
- Mulching Around Fences in Arlington VA
- Awnings Add So Much to Homes in Falls Church VA
- Fences in Arlington VA: How to Mulch
- Neighborly Etiquette: Fences in Fairfax VA
- Wood Privacy Fences in Vienna VA
- Good Fences Make Good Neighbors in Fairfax VA
- Privacy Fences in Vienna VA: Four Options to Consider
- Deck Resurfacing in Falls Church VA: Resurface or Rebuild?
- Have A Fairfax County VA Pool? You Need A Fence
- Do I Need A Permit For A Fairfax County Fence?
- Protect Your Wood Fence During a Northern Virginia Winter
- Types of Fencing Material
- Benefits of Adding an Awning
- Understanding How Your Awning Works
- 5 Things You Didn’t Know About Wood Fences
- Why Should I Choose SunSetter Awnings?
- Awning Maintenance Tips
- What to Look For in an Awning Contractor
- Choosing the Right Awning for Your Home
- Choosing the Right Pool Fence for Your Home
- Why Is My Fence Leaning?
- Choosing the Right Fence for Your Home
- Top Reasons to Install a Retractable Awning
- Fall Fence Maintenance Tips
- Top 5 Reasons to Install a Privacy Fence
- Top 3 Reasons to Winterize Your Deck
- Deck & Patio Awning Installation in Northern Virginia
- Top 5 Reasons to Add an Awning To Your Home
- What Kind of Fence Is Best for Dogs?
- Welcome to Our Blog!
1) What types of wood is used for fencing?
Most area fencing is done with treated pine or cedar. All posts are treated pine because cedar deteriorates quickly underground in damp conditions. In general, Cedar likes a hot, dry environment. If your yard is shady with mulch, flower bedding, or wood piles up against a fence then pressure treated pine is the better option.
2) How long does it take to schedule and install a fence after the estimate is done?
Generally speaking, your fence can be installed within 1-2 weeks after the estimate. In some cases that time frame can be expedited to satisfy your needs for complying with county fence regulations (EX: you have a pool but no fence around it). During the peak spring season the wait times can be a bit longer, but rarely exceed more than 3 weeks.
3) Who locates property lines for finding our perimeter boundaries?
It is always the homeowner’s responsibility to designate property lines. In some cases we are able to locate the corner markers using your “plat”, or survey. In some instances a property survey may be required if your boundaries are unknown. In most cases where an existing fence is being replaced, we simply follow the existing fence line.
4) How do I get my ground marked for underground utilities?
Carter Fence will handle having miss utility contacted to mark the property for most underground utilities. These include electrical, telephone, gas, cable TV, and internet. Any drain lines, sprinkler systems, or outdoor wiring installed by the homeowner or a contractor should be marked clearly by the homeowner installing the fence. Miss Utility will not mark these and we want to avoid hitting them.
5) After my fence is installed, do I need to seal or apply preservative to the finished product? Will Carter Fence do it for me?
No, you do not need to apply any preservatives. Our fences are all maintenance-free and include a 1 year warranty. Sealing a fence is just another precaution that can be taken to try and increase the lifespan of the fence, but it is not necessary. Carter Fence does not paint or apply sealant to fences.
6) How long is your warranty and what does it cover?
Carter Fence carries a 1 year warranty on material and labor for newly installed fences. This includes replacing and fixing any imperfections in material or craftsmanship used during the installation. Gates may need adjustment after several months because the ground will settle where the posts were set, sometimes bringing the latch out of alignment. We will correct the alignment so the gate functions properly. It should be noted that all wood is a natural product and as such will have some movement over time. This is normal.
7) Do you accept credit cards?
Yes, Carter Fence accepts all major credit cards. It should be noted that all credit cards will have a 5% service fee added. This is nearly the exact amount the various financial institutions charge us to process the credit cards.
8) What kind of deck work does Carter Fence offer?
We offer all types of deck repair and re-surfacing. We repair or replace railings, steps, flooring, deck support posts, and pickets. Quite often the deck frame is fine, only the surfaces that are exposed to weather are cracked and splintered. This can save a lot over the cost of a full deck replacement.
9) Are your crews experienced and taught to maintain high quality standards?
Absolutely. We fence every yard as if it is our own. After 30 years in the field, we have encountered and solved just about every fence problem imaginable. Our crews have been trained directly from our experience and work diligently as well as carefully to install your fence. The fence is crafted with knowledge, clarity, and careful planning. We also ensure that our crews clean up neatly after themselves, as that is part of the installation.
10) Does Carter Fence provide competitive pricing?
In most businesses it is true that you get what you pay for. The absolute lowest cost provider is generally cutting corners somewhere. The outrageous prices often charged by big name providers do the exact opposite. We intentionally position ourselves in the lower tier of pricing as to stay competitive and honest with our customers. However, we do so while always providing the best service and the best quality of materials possible without cutting any corners. For this reason we do not compete for the lowest price. We compete to provide our customers with the most reasonable, honest quote possible while maintaining a high standard of quality.
Northern Virginia Service Areas