In Fairfax County, a pool must have a fence around it. This is to protect people from drowning in the pool. A fence around a pool will also require a building permit.
A pool fence must meet very specific requirements, some of which are:
- Minimum height measured from outside face grade must be at least 48 inches
- The clearance to the ground depends on what surface is under the fence. This clearance varies from 2-4 inches.
- The openings in the fence are also regulated, but the minimum size is 1.75 inches
- Fence should bot be climbable
- Fence must be a minimum of 20 inches from the edge of pool
The gate to a pool must meet certain criteria, latches must be at least 54 inches from the ground and at least 3 inches from the top. There must be no openings greater than 1/2 inch within 18 inches of the gate latch. The gate must also be self-closing and self-latching.
There are lots of regulations and considerations when putting a fence around a pool. The fence professionals at Carter Fence can handle all the permitting and make sure all regulations are met by the pool fence design. Contact us today.