Chain link fences in Tysons Corner, VA are great to fence in a yard for small children and pets to play. However, whenever there is a break in the chain or a heavy tree limb falls on it and damages the rails, you are looking at a chain link fence repair either from a professional in Tysons Corner, VA or if you are up to it, you can do it yourself.
- Measure old rail—Hold a tape measure up to the ends of the rail you need to replace and measure the diameter of the old rail.
- Purchase new rails—Any home improvement store in Tysons Corner, VA should carry the rails you will need for your chain link fence repair. If your rail is broken off, bring it to the store with you so you will get the exact size you need. One end of the rail should be tapered, and the other end should be wider.
- Remove wire ties—The ties that connect the top of the mesh to the rail needs to be removed. You should wear gloves and use pliers to bend the tie ends. Free the rail by pulling the ties through the chain link. Do this to all the ties on the rail you need replace.
- Mark new rail for cutting—With someone’s help to hold the new rail up to the old rail, mark a cutting line on the old rail. Then do the same on the opposite end of the new rail where it will meet the joint. To protect your eyes from metal fragments during cutting, wear protective eyeglasses.
- Saw the damaged rail—With a hacksaw or reciprocal saw, find the line you marked on the old rail and saw it and sever the rail on the one end then cut the rail on the other end to free it. Remove the old rail.
- Unbolt from corner post—For the next step of your chain link fence repair, you will need to give yourself some maneuvering room by unbolting the top rail from the corner post and sliding it away. Then place the larger end of the new rail onto the crimped end of the old rail.
- Reconnect rail—Slide the rails in place and replace carriage bolts to secure corner bolt into place.
The last step of your chain link fence repair consists of reconnecting the wire ties. New wire tires can be purchased at any home improvement store in Tysons Corner, VA. If your bottom rail needs to be replaced, your chain link fence repair will be the same as for the top rail.
A chain link fence repair at your home in Tysons Corner, VA can be an easy repair for the do-it-yourselfer but if you are feeling a little-overwhelmed call the team at Carter Fence. They will be happy to come to your home in Tysons Corner, VA and give you a quote for your chain link fence repairs. Chain link fence repairs should be done as soon as you recognize your fence is damaged; otherwise, it will not function as a safe place for your children or pets.