Homeowners have been installing wooden fencing for centuries throughout the U.S. and all over the world. One of the most used materials, most wooden fencing is cheaper than say vinyl or wrought iron fencing. What are the incentives and drawbacks of wooden fencing in Alexandria, VA?
Incentives of Wooden Fencing in Alexandria, VA
- Less expensive compared to other options like vinyl, wrought iron, or aluminum.
- If desired, wooden fencing can provide your Alexandria, VA home complete privacy.
- Easy to install.
- Can either be stained or painted any color to match your landscaping.
- Wood fencing is biodegradable and environmentally friendly.
- Increases your property value and adds curb appeal.
- Wooden fencing comes in a variety of different woods and styles to suit most any homeowners taste.
Drawbacks of Wooden Fencing in Alexandria, VA
- Wood is vulnerable to termites and other insects.
- Prone to rot, especially wooden fence posts in the ground over time.
- High maintenance. Wooden fencing needs to be stained or treated regularly to keep it looking new and protect it from weather elements.
- Has a limited lifespan of 15 to 20 years depending on how well it is maintained and built.
- Wooden fencing exposed to harsh weather can fade, crack, splinter, warp, swell and shrink through the years and will require minor repairs.
The lifespan of wooden fencing depends on the type of wood you use. Naturally, choosing a high-quality wood will last much longer than cheaper grades of wood.
Different Options for Wood Selection
- Pressure-Treated Pine is the most popular used in residential fencing among Alexandria, VA homeowners. It is more affordable but less durable compared to other woods. Pressure treated wood is treated with a chemical to preserve the wood and protect it from insects and rot.
- Western Red Cedar is extremely durable and naturally resistant to moisture, warping, insect damage and decay. It can cost two to three times more than pressure-treated pine but will last much longer. Its rich appearance and sweet aroma is a favorite among Alexandria, VA homeowners.