Although vinyl fencing is quite durable, immune to factors such as aging, direct sunlight, moisture, rot, and mildew, occasionally, you might experience small cracks or holes. Follow these steps for vinyl fence repair at your Northern VA home.
- The first step of your vinyl fence repair is to clean the surface free of dirt and debris. Spraying with a hose will usually remove most of the dirt, and you may need to use a little dish detergent with water to clean the remainder.
- Next, you will need to sand the area of the damaged fence. Please do not use a mechanical sander because it may do more harm to your fence. Leave a hole larger than the one you are repairing. Then take medium grit sandpaper and sand about a 3–inch area around the crack or hole. This removes any fragments that may get in your way later.
- Fill the hole with expanding foam if the hole is larger than 1 inch. Slowly spray the foam into the crack or hole and allow enough time to expand. Once you see the foam coming out of the crack or hole, stop and then let it dry overnight. You may purchase foam for vinyl fence repairs from your local Northern VA hardware store.
- Remove any excess foam with a small saw. Cut as close to the fence as you can.
- Sand the foam with medium–grit sandpaper until it is flush with the vinyl fence surface. Then sand a tad bit more so that an inward dent is formed.
- Clean the fence once again.
- The next step of your vinyl fence repair will be to take a small scraper and apply a plastic filler to the dent in the foam. Do this until it is flush with the surface, making it as smooth as possible.
- Using fine–grit sandpaper, smooth any rough spots. Make sure to keep the filler flush with the vinyl fence surface. Once you are done, clean the area again and apply a coat of paint.
Your vinyl fence should now be as good as new. Always maintain your fence to give your property in Northern VA an attractive look. Neighborhoods in Northern VA that are well kept retain a greater resell value for homeowners looking to sell their homes in the future.
If you are not up to vinyl fence repair for your fence at your Northern VA home, call in the experts from Carter Fence. They can give you an estimate as to the cost of vinyl fence repair by coming to your home in Northern VA. If your fence requires other vinyl fence repair, they can help with that as well.